Pursuit of truth in credit.
By using machine learning to anticipate and manage risk in credit, we’re empowering our partners and lenders to unlock opportunity and access for more borrowers, everywhere.
We strive to be the preferred partner to lending platforms, providing not only access to capital but also underwriting technology capabilities to allow innovative lending platforms to grow their business.
Our firm is made up of 60+ professionals working in San Mateo (HQ) and New York, working in-office on Tuesdays and Thursdays. We are passionate, hard-working, relentlessly-resourceful, impact-focused individuals. We deeply value intellectual curiosity, independence of thought, creative idea generation, empathy, and close collaboration.
A unique aspect of this position is you may work alongside every person on our team: data engineers, colleagues in finance and operations, investor relations and sales, capital markets and partnerships as well as the firm’s leadership.
Your job is to grow firm revenue by increasing qualified purchasing of loans which you'll do by applying Theorem’s proprietary machine learning models to analyze large datasets of loan data from prospective and existing lending partners.
What You'll Do
- Create accurate and complete platform term sheets that will allow investment leaders to make business decisions aligned with our target investment profile for our funds — you'll map raw messy data into a useable format to get quick but confident estimates of performance
- Perform robust and quick analysis of multiple potential and existing lending partners and platforms — ranging from unsecured consumer loans to adjacent asset classes
- Research and provide insights about borrowers, loans, and portfolio performance that inform and support teams across the firm — empowering Investor Relations communications as well as due diligence assessments and risk management decisions
- Create templates, tools and automation geared to systematize platform ingestion process for greater speed and accuracy
What You'll Gain
- Mentorship by a senior researcher — a highly technical research and business leader
- Collaborative partnership with data engineers, partnerships and capital markets professionals, investor relations and sales colleagues, as well as many other operational areas
- You'll learn and develop business expertise in unsecured consumer lending and adjacent asset classes, underwriting, and credit risk default modeling
- You'll have the opportunity to learn about business strategy and execution, platform partnerships, and investment portfolio construction
- Your intellectual curiosity and hard work will be welcome contributions to our culture of knowledge sharing, transparency, and shared fun and achievement
What We're Looking For
- Minimum of 2 years of hands-on data analysis experience in full-time professional, data-heavy, and analysis-focused role
- Demonstrated knowledge of statistics — primarily probabilities and key aspects of survival analysis
- Basic machine learning models and hands-on data analysis
- Machine learning — primarily classification, model fit & evaluation
- Math savvy and analysis intuition and sense
- Technical competence in SQL, python
- Basic experience with git, unix terminals
- Preferred academic background: technical undergrad degree — CS/stats/math/physics preferred; or strong evidence that demonstrates the candidate’s strength in math+CS
- Located in the US
We foster an environment that welcomes professionals with a diversity of backgrounds and ideas. We value professionals who are thoughtful, innovative, tenacious, and mission-driven. Every member of the team has a major impact on the company's success with visible contributions to the business. We encourage and reward growth, learning, and a solutions-seeking mindset. We offer a competitive salary and opportunity for equity ownership, generous benefits, and an inclusive and collaborative work environment. If you’re excited by the opportunities to create outsized impact as part of a world-class team, we strongly encourage you to apply.
We provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in job application procedures.