Data Scientist at Truebill
About the role
ABOUT TRUEBILL 🔮
Truebill is a YC-backed startup with offices in San Francisco and Washington, D.C. Our DC office is right on the Silver Spring metro! Hundreds of thousands of people use Truebill to manage their daily finances and take control of their money. We just recently announced our $17 million Series C round of funding and are now looking to scale our all star team!
With a mission to improve the financial health of everyday people, Truebill is transforming the way people manage their expenses and grow their net worth. Through helping people cancel unnecessary subscriptions, negotiating bills, and securing refunds, we save our members money while helping them regain control over their finances.
We're looking for Data Scientists to join our growing team. In this role, you'll collaborate closely with product, engineering, design, marketing and the data team to better understand the needs and usage patterns of our members, build and deploy new features and models, iterate and optimize existing product experiences to help our members take control of their finances and improve their financial health.
ABOUT THE ROLE 🤹
In this role, you will focus on the following types of problems:
- Working with product and engineering to predict when a member might overdraft their account based on their spending habits and account balances so that we can warn them in advance
- Working with a team to develop the next version of Autopilot - ensuring members have money in the right place at the right time for their near and long term goals
- Working with our engineering and data team to develop the next advances in transaction classification and categorization to better detect subscriptions and power our spending insights
- Working alongside our product and marketing teams to understand product usage and predict lifetime value and retention of our members and develop ways to serve them better
Regardless of the challenges you dive into, you will:
- Become an expert on our members: understanding their needs and financial goals and work with the data team to measure both their progress and ours
- Be a steward of good instrumentation and experimental design - designing analyses, models and products in such a way that they are measurable, testable, repeatable, and robust
- Maintain a high technical bar by participating in code reviews, product and technical design discussions, and focusing on the maintaining a high degree of quality in our production data
ABOUT YOU 🦄
- You have 2+ years of professional experience working in a data science capacity with some combination of Python/scripting language and relational database production experience
- You care just as much about why you're solving a problem as the types of problems. You want to understand context and the bigger picture of how the problem you're working on is impacting and benefitting our members
- Experience in one or more of the following in a professional capacity: customer modeling (LTV, Churn), time series prediction, natural language processing and classification, machine learning applied to consumer products
- You find yourself often building tools to help others solve their problems and try to follow a philosophy of continuous improvement and automation
- You want to continue to grow and optimize to your learning rate and are excited by hard problems and big challenges
- Experience with fintech, banking and consumer transaction data is a plus
Why you should join Truebill
Truebill is autopilot for your money. It helps people optimize their finances without having to think about it. We're founded by veteran entrepreneurs.