Head of People & Culture (Human Resources) at UpKeep
About the role
UpKeep is the top-rated maintenance management software developed to revolutionize the way teams manage facilities, equipment, and work orders. We empower over 3,000 customers in 60 countries by providing mobile-first SaaS solutions, Industrial IoT sensors, data analytics tools, and enterprise integrations. Our innovative cloud-based application is making work easier and safer for deskless technicians, while improving asset reliability and operational efficiency for business in many fast-growing industries.
We're a Series B tech startup with 100+ team members across the US. We've been recognized as a "Best Place to Work" years in row by fostering a diverse, inclusive, and mission-driven culture. In addition to stock options and great benefits, our people have the flexibility to work remote or remote-hybrid from our Los Angeles HQ.
We are only accepting applications from candidates living in the following states: California, Washington, Oregon, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Nevada, Utah, Texas, Idaho, Illinois, North Carolina, South Carolina, Maryland, Florida, & Hawaii
We are looking for an experienced leader with deep experience in people operations to serve as our Head of People. As the Head of People, you will report directly to the CEO and be responsible for owning and driving our overall people strategy and culture related initiatives. UpKeep is fortunate to have a strong people-first culture in-place, and we’re excited to bring someone on who can help it evolve and thrive as UpKeep scales.
Within your first year you will:
- Build upon current programs/processes to develop and execute on a plan to scale our People team to continue to support UpKeep’s ambitious goals
- Be the authority on UpKeep’s culture with a pulse on how we can ensure our employees feel seen, valued and heard
- Define a framework for measuring the health of our culture that identifies and defines the sets of metrics we want to measure and manage against
- Identify areas of improvement and focus so that UpKeep is aligned with and authentic to our core values (Customers over revenue, Grit over Prestige, Progress over Perfection)
- Support continued implementation of our DEI strategy
- Become a trusted partner to the leadership team on issues of org design, career pathing, performance management, and other strategic business decisions
- Implement a comprehensive competency framework and training roadmap that defines all levels of leadership in the business
- Scale our recruiting efforts to meet the need of a fast-growing startup’s hiring goals
- Partner with the leadership team and managers to scale our company-wide onboarding and build department specific onboarding that set up new hires for success
- Ensure UpKeep has an equitable compensation and benefits framework in place that supports our goal of having a world-class team, and work with managers to roll out consistent leveling and career trajectories across the company
- Work with leadership to support a post-COVID hybrid work model, with some team members fully remote and others utilizing our LA office
Culture & Employee Engagement:
- Articulation of our values and culture internally and externally, as well as leadership by example
- Organizing regular team social events to create an inclusive community
- Ensuring that UpKeep is a diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization as we scale
- Diagnosing and remediating any cultural issues that undermine employee well-being, retention, or engagement
Business Partnering & Employee Engagement:
- Partnering with managers on org design, hiring goals, leveling, on-boarding, training and development, and performance management
- Measuring the health of our People efforts against quantitative and qualitative goals
- Partnering with managers on creating career trajectories and growth opportunities for the team
- Partnering with managers and the leadership team to build an organization that people want to stay at long term
Compensation and Benefits:
- Build and maintain a compensation framework for the company
- Regularly review our benefits to ensure they maximize employee well-being and retention
- Manage internal recruiting team
- Quality control of our hiring processes to make sure we hire diverse, world-class people who align with our values
- Manage employee lifecycle processes including payroll, onboarding, and off-boarding
- Ensure processes are scalable, operate smoothly, and improve over time
- Partner with the leadership to define our operating model in a post-Covid world
- Partner with managers to help them appropriately handle difficult employee situations in a compliant way while maximizing employee well-being
What we're looking for:
- At least 8 years of HR experience at growing organizations
- At least 3 of those years in a People or HR leadership role
- Experience at a growth stage startup (~50 - 200 people)
- Highly strategic when building a culture and a people organization, proven experience partnering across an organization
- You pride yourself on your exceptional high EQ
- Excellent communication, mediation, and interpersonal skills
- Very strong ownership and willingness to work hands-on to achieve goals
Full-time team members at UpKeep receive stock options, paid holidays, unlimited vacation/sick time, 401(k), 12-week paid parental leave, affordable health insurance options, FSA, and the flexibility to work from home. We value work-life-harmony and believe that family and mental health should always come first.
UpKeep Technologies Inc. is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, creed, marital status, pregnancy, disability, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, or any other protected category. Please let us know if you need accommodation due to disability. We celebrate our inclusive work environment and will always strive to create a diverse and equitable workplace by hiring people from all racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
Why you should join UpKeep
We're taking the work out of work orders! Founded in 2014, our mission was to empower technicians, maintenance teams, and facility managers to be more productive through the adoption of new technology.
Today, we have developed a mobile-first, cloud-based solution that is simplifying maintenance requests and asset management across dozens of industries around the world. We're focused on remaining the leading Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) on the market by constantly improving our software as a service (SaaS) and always putting our customers first! UpKeep currently employs 70 amazing people that work together to ensure over 200,000 global users achieve their goals! We've been named the #1 Facility Management Software by Gartner & GetApp, #1 for Usability by Software Advice, and Easiest to Use CMMS by G2 Crowd. We've also been recognized as a "Best Place to Work" by Built in LA!
After graduating from Y Combinator, we’ve raised $50M in capital funding (Series A & B) from some of the top VC’s in the world including Emergence Capital, Insight Partners, Battery Ventures, and Bain Capital. Only 1% of venture capital is funneled towards the deskless workforce, yet 80% of the global workforce is not sitting at a desk. We are actively investing in the future of maintenance and the underserved deskless worker.
We are a Y Combinator-backed company (YC W17)
Visit our website to learn more and view our current job openings! https://www.onupkeep.com/