Senior Software Engineer (Tech to Fight for Civil Rights)
About the role
Upsolve helps low-income families file bankruptcy for free, using an online web app. To date, we've relieved over $250 million in debt for our users.
At Upsolve, we believe every family should be able to access their civil rights, regardless of whether they can afford a lawyer. Bankruptcy is a powerful tool that allows low-income families to relieve their debt and re-enter the economy after suffering from medical bills, layoffs, and predatory loans. Due to COVID-19, it's more important than ever.
But legal fees in bankruptcy are too expensive for low-income families who need access. We're making this critical part of the American safety net free and accessible at scale, using technology.
- TIME named Upsolve one of the Top 100 inventions of 2020.
- Fast Company named Upsolve a Top 10 Most Innovative Nonprofit of 2020
- The Robin Hood Foundation awarded Upsolve the 30th Annal Heroes Award for "extraordinary contributions in the fight against poverty"
- The New York Times awarded Upsolve the Good Tech Award in 2018
Interested? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who We're Looking For
As a founding engineer, you're a good fit if you've already had strong experiences learning the fundamentals of software engineering at another startup or established tech company.
You're currently looking for opportunities that will allow you to reach your full potential as an engineer, helping marginalized communities with the skills you've gained throughout your career. You must have a passion for social, economic, and racial justice.
You've always told yourself: "one day, I'm going to use my engineering skills to actually help people who need me."
Before you became a software engineer or in your current career, you've had a track record of helping people in need. This could include volunteer experience, activism, or a full-time job.
You have a well-developed awareness of the inequity in our society and a burning desire to do something about it.
You've been looking for the right opportunity to work on these passions full-time while being fairly compensated.
You care about working with a very diverse team from all walks of life.
You're ready to take ownership over new features and products at an organization that is well-funded, widely recognized, and relieves hundreds of millions of dollars of debt per year.
If this sounds like you, we're committed to making Upsolve the most meaningful professional experience of your life.
We are looking for a teammate with the following specific traits:
- You have a strong focus on social impact
- You have a willingness to learn fast
- You ship incrementally and love to iterate
- You have an entrepreneurial spirit
- You love data, analytics, and ways to measure features you ship
- You can move fluidly between frontends, backends, and DevOps
What You'll Get Out of It:
- The chance to build a product that relieves hundreds of millions of dollars per year and transforms the lives of low-income and working-class families
- The ability to ship live code within hours of starting
- A welcoming and collaborative environment with people who are dedicating their lives to fighting poverty
- An environment for rapid experimentation and ownership
- Ownership of entire systems and features that deliver society-changing impact
- Contributing to the foundation and culture of a young and growing organization
- Experience working cross-functionally and exposure to a variety of business functions
- Cash compensation on par with for-profit tech companies
Requirements:* 3+ years’ experience writing production-grade code in a modern programming language * An incredibly high bar for velocity of shipping and the quality of your work * You build software that is explicit and intuitive * You’re pragmatic in knowing when to refactor and when to ship * Desired: Professional experience with NodeJS * Desired: Experience with cloud service providers like AWS
Interested? We’d love to talk to you. Send an email to email@example.com
Upsolve is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone should receive equal consideration and treatment in all terms and conditions of employment regardless of sex, gender(including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, age (over 40), physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, domestic partner status, military or veteran status, height, weight, AIDS/HIV status, and any other protected category under federal, state or local law. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Why you should join Upsolve
Upsolve is a Y Combinator-funded tech nonprofit that helps low-income families file for bankruptcy for free. You can think of us as TurboTax for bankruptcy. We help families on the verge of hunger, poverty, and homelessness get back on their feet after they face medical bills, layoffs, and predatory loans. In 2018, we won the New York Times Good Tech Award.