Mechatronics Engineer at Volta Labs, Inc.
About the role
Volta Labs is looking for a mechatronics engineer who is experienced with rapid prototyping along with building, fabricating, and testing electro-mechanical systems.
Volta Labs, Inc. (https://www.voltalabs.com/) is an MIT spin-off company that makes programmable fluidic chips for biological automation. We are a transdisciplinary team combining engineering, computer science, chemistry and molecular biology to enable the next generation of automation for genomics and genetic engineering.
We are in the process of gathering people with an interdisciplinary mindset to form the foundations of what will become the company over the next few years. You will come on board as an early member of the team and grow with our organization. We are building a complex software-hardware-biology system where systems-thinking and the ability to evaluate a problem from multiple perspectives is a must.
You’ll join a team where everyone—including you—is not afraid to go into unexplored territories across many fields to develop our automation system. We are an incredibly supportive team–we love to pitch in when problems arise and give great peer feedback to help each other grow. We are passionate about lots of things–automation, computation, genetic engineering, DNA sequencing, robotics, fabrication, industrial design, great user experience for customers–and we love sharing those passions with each other. You'll be a key driver of these values in our Cambridge office and play a big role in helping grow the team.
- Work across disciplines to rapidly design, test, and debug holistic system-level solutions for a complex hardware-software-biology instrument.
- Support projects to design, assemble, test, debug, document and implement reliable instrument hardware
- Lead R&D efforts on new features, modules, and prototypes for breakthrough performance
- Develop and maintain systems documentation
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or related engineering or physics degree.
- 1+ year of engineering experience, especially in research & development environment. Outstanding internship and research experience can support this. (We are open to adjusting this role for more experienced candidates).
- Highly proficient in conceptualizing, designing, and analyzing mechanical assemblies in CAD (Solidworks, Fusion360) and in building in-house prototypes rapidly.
- Excellent fundamental engineering knowledge and have examples of applied engineering success through work, projects, or academic endeavors.
- Excel at bringing structure to unstructured problems: proven ability to research information, solve challenging problems, and coordinate projects under tight timing constraints.
- Ability to collaborate in a fast-paced team environment with rapidly changing priorities: pro-active team player who thinks ahead, plans, and suggests solutions.
- You are a continuous learner who embraces a growth mindset.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to synthesize technical information to be able to share internally across disciplines.
Nice to Have
- Particularly skilled in and excited about mechatronics
- Skilled in and excited about leading prototypes of electro-mechanical systems, from initial ideas through assembly and testing
- You have a successful track record working with cross-functional development teams.
- Experience with computational tools for measurement and analysis (Python, Matlab) and familiarity with embedded programming (Arduino, AVR, ARM, STM)
Volta Labs offers both competitive cash and equity compensation, as well as health, dental, vision, and unlimited paid time off.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of bio-automation!
Why you should join Volta Labs, Inc.
Volta Labs is a venture-backed startup spun off from the MIT Media Lab by co-founders Udayan Umapathi and Will Langford. We were incubated at the MIT Engine and are supported by top VC firms.
Volta’s vision is to make biological automation as agile, scalable and reliable as digital electronics. To realize this vision we are building a platform technology by engineering the full-stack -- hardware, software, chemistry, and biology.