Systems Integration Engineering Lead at Volta Labs, Inc.
About the role
Volta Labs is looking for an engineer who is experienced the design and manufacturing of electro-mechanical systems.
Volta Labs, Inc. (https://www.voltalabs.com/) is an MIT spin-off company that makes programmable fluidic chips for biological automation. We are a transdisciplinary team combining engineering, computer science, chemistry and molecular biology to enable the next generation of automation for genomics and genetic engineering.
We are in the process of gathering people with an interdisciplinary mindset to form the foundations of what will become the company over the next few years. You will come on board as an early member of the team and grow with our organization. We are building a complex software-hardware-biology system where systems-thinking and the ability to evaluate a problem from multiple perspectives is a must.
You’ll join a team where everyone—including you—is not afraid to go into unexplored territories across many fields to develop our automation system. We are an incredibly supportive team–we love to pitch in when problems arise and give great peer feedback to help each other grow. We are passionate about lots of things–automation, computation, genetic engineering, DNA sequencing, robotics, fabrication, industrial design, great user experience for customers–and we love sharing those passions with each other. You'll be a key driver of these values in our Cambridge office and play a big role in helping grow the team.
- Lead integration of complex systems across multiple domains for robust commercial performance
- Coordinate a team for productization of advanced features necessary to deliver key product requirements and resolve technical project challenges
- Identify opportunities and technologies that improve product performance and user experience
- Drive resolution of technical issues by effectively allocating responsibilities with the cross-functional teams
- Drive validation and maturity of new technologies, and collaborate with the product team to integrate new features into products
- Communicate processes, technology, and plans effectively to both internal and external stakeholders
- Lead the design transfer of a novel instrument as key liaison with external manufacturing partners.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related engineering or physics degree.
- 5+ years of engineering experience, bringing products through a full development life cycle.
- Highly proficient in managing complex designs in both mechanical (Solidworks, Fusion360) and electrical (Alitum, Kicad) domains.
- Experience bringing up and supporting initial instrument release with external manufacturing partners.
- Excel at bringing structure to unstructured problems: proven ability to research information, solve challenging problems, and coordinate projects under tight timing constraints.
- Ability to collaborate in a fast-paced team environment with rapidly changing priorities: pro-active team player who thinks ahead, plans, and suggests solutions.
- You are a continuous learner who embraces a growth mindset.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to synthesize technical information to be able to share internally across disciplines.
Nice to Have
- Experience building and scaling technical teams
- Experience leading design reviews with tools such as FMEA.
- Familiar with developing and analyzing metrics around reliability and performance of an external install base of products, and leveraging them for future improvements
- Experience working on In-Vitro Diagnostic (IVD) instrumentation or other highly regulated sectors
- You have a successful track record working with cross-functional development teams.
Volta Labs offers both competitive cash and equity compensation, as well as health, dental, vision, and unlimited paid time off.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of bio-automation!
Why you should join Volta Labs, Inc.
Volta Labs is a venture-backed startup spun off from the MIT Media Lab by co-founders Udayan Umapathi and Will Langford. We were incubated at the MIT Engine and are supported by top VC firms.
Volta’s vision is to make biological automation as agile, scalable and reliable as digital electronics. To realize this vision we are building a platform technology by engineering the full-stack -- hardware, software, chemistry, and biology.