Underwriting Segment Lead, Fintech at Vouch
About the role
Insurance... sounds slow, old-fashioned, and unexciting. Exactly. Insurance is broken, and it's failing fast-moving, innovative startups.
Vouch is a new, technology-first insurance company backed with $160M in funding from world-class investors. Like Stripe for payments or Brex for credit cards, Vouch is creating the go-to business insurance for high-growth companies.
We're doing this by making insurance fast, responsive, and focused on our customers -high growth and innovative companies. Instead of printed PDF applications and week-long waits, Vouch is building new technology to solve real problems, writing policies that actually cover relevant startup scenarios, and designing simple experiences in an otherwise frustrating industry.
What does a work environment look like at Vouch?
Vouch has a 3-HQ model: Office-Based, Office-Linked, and Remote-First. This role is Office Linked, which means that team members must live within a 2-3 hour commute from one of our main offices (SF or Chicago) and be able to easily come into the office on an as-needed basis. We expect team members will be in the office on average 3-4 days per month. However, due to Covid, we are promoting flexibility with this structure and currently encourage folks to stay home if they feel more comfortable.
To deliver on this exciting category-defining product we are seeking a creative, motivated, and innovative commercial P&C underwriter to underwrite a broad array of startup businesses across 10 coverage lines.
As a key member of the Insurance team, you will play an integral role in our underwriting process. You will be responsible for underwriting accounts within Vouch guidelines and underwriting strategy. Evaluate risk and structure solutions appropriate for our insureds. Provide advice and suggestions on underwriting-related issues. Develop positive relationships with insureds in support of our mission of crafting the best insurance for those building the future.
Specific activities and responsibilities may include:
- Underwrite individual accounts in accordance with Vouch’s underwriting philosophy, guidelines, and service level standards.
- Monitor underwriting risk to deliver target loss ratio (PLR) all while supporting the unique strategy and model of Vouch - suggest underwriting changes as needed (in coordination with Underwriting Operations and other functions)
- Ensure adherence to underwriting guidelines.
- Support marketing efforts and share insights and knowledge with the broader Vouch organization.
- 2+ years experience in commercial P&C Underwriting - Direct underwriting experience and technical understanding of management, professional liability, or general liability & property.
- Experience working in a collaborative environment with the ability to improve underwriting guidelines that integrate the customer’s perspective, user experience concepts, auto decision orientation, and our go-to-market strategy.
- Adept at bringing creative insurance ideas to solve ambiguous problems
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects in a dynamic environment with the ability to prioritize high impact work
- Bachelor’s Degree
Nice to have:
- Startup experience or fast-paced environment
- Experience underwriting software, hardware, or life science industry classes
Vouch provides a number of benefits to help you bring your best self to work:
- Competitive compensation and equity packages
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Parental leave
- Flexible vacation time (Unlimited PTO)
- Wellness allowance ($80/month)
- Technology allowance ($100/month)
- Monthly Doordash credits ($80/month)
Vouch believes in putting our people first and building a diverse team is at the front of everything that we do. We welcome people from different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and celebrate the diversity of our growing team.
Why you should join Vouch
Vouch is building the future of commercial insurance: instead of having to go through stodgy brokers, and long paper-based applications, Vouch will make it easy for any Seed or Series-A stage company to get all of the business insurance (property, liability of various sorts) they need, and will ensure that this coverage scales as a company does.