Engineering Manager, Platform at Vouch
About the role
Insurance... sounds slow, old-fashioned, and unexciting. Exactly. Insurance is broken, and it's failing fast-moving, innovative startups.
Vouch is a new, technology-first insurance company backed with $160M in funding from world-class investors. Like Stripe for payments or Brex for credit cards, Vouch is creating the go-to business insurance for high-growth companies.
We're doing this by making insurance fast, responsive, and focused on our customer -high growth and innovative companies. Instead of printed PDF applications and week-long waits, Vouch is building new technology to solve real problems, writing policies that actually cover relevant startup scenarios, and designing simple experiences in an otherwise frustrating industry.
What you will contribute:
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to grow our Insurance Platform team. The platform team is focused on building out services that simplify and automate the traditional manual processes that enable comprehensive coverage for our customers. Your team will be responsible for reshaping the way that insurance policies are being underwritten.
As an Engineering Manager:
- You will lead and grow a team of engineers and coordinate with other stakeholders at the company to drive the engineering roadmap for your team.
- You will take full responsibility for the quality, efficiency, and reliability of your team’s production and will be responsible for your team’s overall delivery.
- You will also be responsible for helping to shape fundamental aspects of our codebase and engineering culture.
What we look for in a candidate:
- 1+ years experience as an engineering manager directly responsible for leading and managing a team 3+ engineers
- 5+ years experience as an engineer/architect building out platform services & highly operational workflows
- Significant experience leading projects through completion
- Experience acting as a hiring manager and partnering with recruiting to meet hiring goals
- Experience working with business stakeholders to understand business requirements and build thoughtful solutions
- Exceptional organizational, communication, and leadership skills
Stack we use:
- Node, TypeScript, React, Ruby/Rails, Vue, GraphQL, PostgreSQL
- CircleCI, Docker, LogRocket, Rollbar, Datadog, LaunchDarkly
- Cypress, Jest, RSpec
- AWS (Lambdas, SQS, ECS, etc) and Netlify
- GitHub, Asana, Lucidchart, Miro, Sketch, Figma
Put people first. Serve clients with integrity and excellence. Listen, challenge and grow. Face challenges head-on and win as a team.
These values are at the core of our day to day interactions and are essential attributes for all teammates we bring onboard. We live these out in very practical ways in our approach to work, collaboration, work-life balance, and goals. We are people above all else and strive to take care of each other, respect each other, and encourage each other to do our best work together.
Why you might want to join our team:
You enjoy building effective teams that can deliver impactful applications in a quick-moving, yet highly regulated environment. Changing a broken industry by enabling entrepreneurs and founders to have delightful experiences with insurance excites you. Active learning and mentorship through retrospectives and collaboration in a warm, high-trust culture motivate you to bring your whole self to work and grow as a person.
Vouch provides a number of benefits to help you bring your best self to work:
- Competitive compensation and equity packages
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Parental leave
- Flexible vacation time (Unlimited PTO)
- Wellness allowance ($80/month)
- Technology allowance ($100/month)
- Monthly Doordash credits ($80/month)
Vouch believes in putting our people first and building a diverse team is at the front of everything that we do. We welcome people from different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and celebrate the diversity of our growing team.
Why you should join Vouch
Vouch is building the future of commercial insurance: instead of having to go through stodgy brokers, and long paper-based applications, Vouch will make it easy for any Seed or Series-A stage company to get all of the business insurance (property, liability of various sorts) they need, and will ensure that this coverage scales as a company does.