Software Engineer, Enablement at Vouch
About the role
Insurance... sounds slow, old-fashioned, and unexciting. Exactly. Insurance is broken, and it's failing fast-moving, innovative startups.
Vouch is a new, technology-first insurance company backed with $160M in funding from world-class investors. Like Stripe for payments or Brex for credit cards, Vouch is creating the go-to business insurance for high-growth companies.
We're doing this by making insurance fast, responsive, and focused on our customers -high growth and innovative companies. Instead of printed PDF applications and week-long waits, Vouch is building new technology to solve real problems, writing policies that actually cover relevant startup scenarios, and designing simple experiences in an otherwise frustrating industry.
What does a work environment look like at Vouch?
Vouch has a 3-HQ model: Office-Based, Office-Linked, and Remote-First. This role is Remote-First, which means that team members can work from anywhere in the U.S. so long as they can work during Vouch core collaboration hours (9 am-3 pm PT Mon-Fri).
Excited to build technical systems that power the go-to-market strategy at a hyper-growth startup? As an Enablement Engineer at Vouch, you will be part of a team doing just that. The Enablement team builds the tools that will allow Vouch to scale.
This role will allow you to have a hand in nearly every aspect of the business. You'll work directly with Vouch's engineering, insurance, and go-to-market teams, giving you company-wide visibility for your work. You'll have influence over what makes it into Vouch's tech stack — from marketing tools like Autopilot and Salesloft to customer support systems like Zendesk - with opportunities to decide what tools you take off the shelf and what software you build in-house. You'll be involved in architectural decisions that will define how data flows through all our systems.
Do you love working cross-functionally and building processes that bridge many services? As a key player on Enablement, you will join a team of agile systems designers who can connect the dots across service boundaries. You’ll work directly with Vouch's engineering, insurance, and go-to-market teams to support our business operations. You'll automate parts of our sales and success functions, build tools to administer our policies, and help our teams operate faster and more predictably. A successful engineer in this role will have measurable top-line and bottom-line impact. You'll have the chance to learn more about each function's role in building a successful startup.
- Deliver software applications that integrate our business systems with the rest of our stack. On any given week you might be working with our CRM and marketing automation tools, our ticketing system, our eventing infrastructure, or our internal APIs.
- Own Vouch’s internal systems and tools to enable our teams to provide the best service to customers as we rapidly scale
- Think critically about the tradeoffs of adding another SaaS tool to our stack, or driving the implementation of simple software solutions in-house.
- Develop a deep understanding of Vouch’s business operations across Sales, Marketing, and Success, the business problems they are trying to solve, and the root causes that your solutions must address.
- Build world class business system solutions in an Agile/Scrum delivery environment.
- Craft, deploy, and maintain robust software that can scale with the company's needs.
- Gather requirements from business stakeholders, balancing short term team-specific needs with long-term company-wide priorities.
- Surprise us! Many applicants will have an MS or BS in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, or a related field OR equivalent practical experience in software engineering
- 1+ years of hands-on software engineering experience
- 2+ years of Salesforce development experience
- Knowledgeable about relational database modeling (MySQL, PostgreSQL, SOQL, etc.) and various data transformation/migration tools.
- Experienced in configuring and programmatically interacting with CRMs (especially Salesforce/Apex), ticketing systems, and other customer support tools.
- A tinkerer. Loves thinking about how to automate things and even building automations for yourself
- Excited to learn about new industries and motivated to become an insurance expert
- Track record of shipping successful products that delight while improving productivity of its users
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in articulating customer/stakeholder pain
- An analytical thinker with the ability to discern insights from noise in the data
- Motivated by enabling your coworkers to be successful
- Ability to thrive in an ambiguous, high-growth, fast-paced startup environment
Nice to have:
- Exposure to and passion for early-stage startups and/or high growth environments
- A background in insurance, other regulated categories, and/or B2B SaaS experience
- Salesforce developer certification
- Previous use of queueing/messaging and schema systems (ie: Kafka, RabbitMQ, AWS SQS, AWS EventBridge, etc)
- Experience with tools such as Stripe, Intercom, Salesloft, Zendesk, Zapier, Autopilot, Jira, Gong, and Retool
Vouch provides a number of benefits to help you bring your best self to work:
- Competitive compensation and equity packages
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Parental leave
- Flexible vacation time (Unlimited PTO)
- Wellness allowance ($80/month)
- Technology allowance ($100/month)
- Monthly Doordash credits ($80/month)
Vouch believes in putting our people first and building a diverse team is at the front of everything that we do. We welcome people from different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and celebrate the diversity of our growing team.
Why you should join Vouch
Vouch is building the future of commercial insurance: instead of having to go through stodgy brokers, and long paper-based applications, Vouch will make it easy for any Seed or Series-A stage company to get all of the business insurance (property, liability of various sorts) they need, and will ensure that this coverage scales as a company does.