Head of Underwriting at Vouch
About the role
Insurance... sounds slow, old-fashioned, and unexciting. Exactly. Insurance is broken, and it's failing fast-moving, innovative startups.
Vouch is a new, technology-first insurance company backed with $160M in funding from world-class investors. Like Stripe for payments or Brex for credit cards, Vouch is creating the go-to business insurance for high-growth companies.
We're doing this by making insurance fast, responsive, and focused on our customers -high growth and innovative companies. Instead of printed PDF applications and week-long waits, Vouch is building new technology to solve real problems, writing policies that actually cover relevant startup scenarios, and designing simple experiences in an otherwise frustrating industry.
What does a work environment look like at Vouch?
Vouch has a 3-HQ model: Office-Based, Office-Linked, and Remote-First. This role is Office Linked, which means that team members must live within a 2-3 hour commute from one of our main offices (SF or Chicago) and be able to easily come into the office on an as-needed basis. We expect team members will be in the office on average 3-4 days per month. However, due to Covid, we are promoting flexibility with this structure and currently encourage folks to stay home if they feel more comfortable.
To deliver on this exciting category-defining product, we are seeking a creative, motivated and innovative leader to oversee our underwriting practice.
As a key member of the Insurance Operations leadership team, you will play an integral role in shaping our insurance strategy. You will be responsible for delivering underwriting guidelines aligned to the Vouch strategy and model, technical insurance expertise and guidance, ongoing risk assessments and underwriting changes all to support our mission of crafting the best insurance for those building the future. More broadly, you will be responsible for building Vouch’s underwriting organization.
- Establish and continue to evolve Vouch’s underwriting strategy
- Ensure overall underwriting guidelines are consistent, deliver on Vouch’s strategy + growth objectives; All while delivering to L/R targets
- Oversee Underwriting team and implement strategic frameworks to both deliver on L/R Targets while supporting Vouch’s overall strategy and growth
- Develop, implement and manage practices that ensure ongoing assessment of risk trends and ensure appropriate changes to underwriting guidelines (both expansive and restrictive)
- Ensure Insurance Ops is identifying new or shifting risks/trends and driving appropriate underwriting changes
- Collaborate with Insurance Product Innovation to ensure delivery of changes to insurance products and new verticals or new product expansions
- Develop and implement practices and infrastructure for ensuring appropriate ongoing adherence to underwriting guidelines
- Ensure ongoing delivery and updates of needed internal training, tools, and content to GTM and Core Underwriting
- Drive Key Metrics: Primary = Loss Ratio and Premium; Secondary = Aperture: % of Target Market Guidelines Can Serve, Conversion and Retention, % of Accounts into Discretion (efficiency)
- 10+ years experience in insurance or the commercial financial sector.
- Adept at bringing creative ideas to solve ambiguous problems
- Exceptional communication skills, with an emphasis on real-time interaction, either written or verbal
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects with the ability to prioritize high impact work
- Bachelor’s Degree
Nice to have:
- Exposure to and passion for early-stage startups and/or high growth environments
- A background in insurance or other regulated categories
Vouch provides a number of benefits to help you bring your best self to work:
- Competitive compensation and equity packages
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Parental leave
- Flexible vacation time (Unlimited PTO)
- Wellness allowance ($80/month)
- Technology allowance ($100/month)
- Monthly Doordash credits ($80/month)
Vouch believes in putting our people first, and building a diverse team is at the front of everything that we do. We welcome people from different backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and ranges of abilities. We are an equal opportunity employer and celebrate the diversity of our growing team.
Why you should join Vouch
Vouch is building the future of commercial insurance: instead of having to go through stodgy brokers, and long paper-based applications, Vouch will make it easy for any Seed or Series-A stage company to get all of the business insurance (property, liability of various sorts) they need, and will ensure that this coverage scales as a company does.