Growth and Marketing Specialist (any level, remote-friendly) at Wanderlog
About the role
Wanderlog helps make leisure travel easier. We believe that travel makes the world better, and are building tools that lower the bar to it. Our first product is a mobile and web app for planning trips, and we're currently the top result for "vacation planner" on web, iOS, and Android.
We’ve raised funding from Y Combinator, an incubator that has funded travel startups such as AirBnB and Hipmunk. Even during COVID, we've seen growth as travelers plan road trips and shorter, weekend jaunts!
Our founders are twin brothers. Peter worked as an engineer at Stripe and a consultant at McKinsey, and Harry as a product manager at Google. We’re an engineering and product-driven team: the founders studied computer science at Yale, were featured in the New York Times and have built successful, bootstrapped travel companies (BookWithMatrix and All the Flight Deals) with products people love before starting Wanderlog.
We’re currently a team of 6, including 5 engineers (counting Peter and Harry as engineers) and 1 designer.
We also love traveling. Whether it’s a short hop to Austin, Seattle, or New Orleans; or a longer jaunt to Australia, Hawaii, or Banff National Park (all places members of the team have traveled to in the past year!), travel broadens our horizons, builds empathy, allows us to bond with others on our trip! We’re working to bring these experiences to more of the world.
What you’ll do:
We’re looking to hire a Growth and Marketing specialist to help us spread the word about Wanderlog. As the only Wanderlog team member fully dedicated to growth and marketing, you’ll:
- Work closely with our engineers and co-founders. We’re a small team of 7, so you’ll get to know the full team!
- Shape our marketing strategy by experimenting with different marketing channels (with a focus on unpaid, organic channels, especially with SEO and outreach to bloggers and influencers.)
- Analyze performance of marketing campaigns, acquisition funnels, and retention to recommend improvements and inform engineering priorities.
- Reach out to blogs, websites, and other sites whose users can benefit from partnerships and featuring Wanderlog.
- Pitch press and do PR work on new launches, one-off topical features (e.g., our COVID travel restrictions map)
- Evangelize Wanderlog on different social platforms such as Facebook Groups, Reddit, Hacker News, Product Hunt, etc.
- Write articles about travel and travel technology for Wanderlog that would be useful to travelers more broadly.
- Review and reply to customer emails with suggestions and bug reports.
- Brainstorm new initiatives to increase Wanderlog's reach.
This position is a full-time role reporting to the co-founders at Wanderlog headquarters in San Francisco. You may be a good fit if you:
- Have marketing experience: broadly, you’ve successfully tried to get people to join a club, use a product, or try something new before.
- Are analytical: you can make sense of data in an Excel spreadsheet or on an online dashboard.
- Are action-oriented: you try to quickly test your ideas and get things done.
- Are a good communicator: an important part of any marketing role is being able to independently write marketing copy, outreach emails, etc.
- Are entrepreneurial: excited about joining a small, high-growth team and talking to users and other travelers, and wearing a variety of hats.
- Love travel and believe in it as a positive force personally and for the world.
What’s it like to work here?
We’re an engineering and product-heavy team. Travel’s something everyone does, and we love using the tools we build. A typical week’s work involves talking to users, prioritizing tasks on a kanban, designing on Figma, and building and shipping them continuously.
We believe in work-life balance. If you're remote, we love taking time to get to know each other at our daily check-ins where we don't just talk about work, but also our lives! At our San Francisco Hayes Valley office, we stop working and eat together for lunch. We work reasonable hours, and make time for working out and enjoying life with friends and family. We love travel and believe it rejuvenates us and makes us better people.
Our hiring process
We’ll start out by requesting a writing sample. Afterwards, we'll chat about your background and what you’re looking for, just to see if we’re a good fit for you, and then do:
- One interview about your past experience
- One interview with a Google Sheets/Excel/data analysis task and hypothetical and actual challenges that we’re running into growing Wanderlog, and just have a conversation on what you’d try, how you’d go about it.
Founders and team
Peter Xu and Harry Yu are twin brothers. Peter shuttled between Los Angeles, Houston, New York, Tokyo, and Hong Kong as a consultant at McKinsey before settling down at Stripe as a full-stack engineer, where he worked closely with support teams to build tools that made support agents’ work more productive.
Harry worked at Google as a product manager for the past 5 years on Hotel Search, Chrome, and finally Google Assistant for the past three, where he was one of the early PMs on the team. Our other team members are Namphuong (formerly a designer at Doordash), Arthur (a bootcamp grad into meditation and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu) and Henry (a former startup co-founder and recent grad based in San Jose).
Before building Wanderlog, Peter and Harry had built Coursetable (featured in the New York Times) and travel sites All the Flight Deals (a flight deals aggregator) and BookWithMatrix (a power-traveler flight search tool), which together make over $600,000 in monthly flight bookings.
To apply, just apply here on AngelList and make sure your profile has your resume!
Why you should join Wanderlog
Wanderlog is building tools to make leisure travel easier. We believe that travel makes us and the world better, and are trying to lower the bar to it. Our product so far is a Google Docs for planning travel and sharing recommendations.
We’re an engineering and product-heavy team. A typical week’s work involves talking to users, prioritizing tasks on a kanban, designing on Figma, and building and shipping continuously. Harry and I have worked at Stripe, McKinsey, and Google and studied Computer Science at Yale, and at Wanderlog, we try to take the best parts of each of the places we’ve been and bring them together.
We believe in work-life balance. We work regular hours, take time off as a team to eat lunch together (and even cook!), exercise, and enjoy time with friends and family. We love travel and believe it rejuvenates us and makes us better people, and have quarterly travel offsites where the goal is to just enjoy visiting a new place and use the tools we’ve built.
If you enjoy travel, and would love to make it easier for the rest of the world to do it, send us a note at email@example.com! We’d love for you to join our team.