About the role
Writing can be fun and beautiful, and also a huge pain.
We're building Wordloops into a space where our users' writing is nurtured and transformed, where they can easily meet likeminded writers, where they consistently progress towards mastering their craft.
One way to think about Wordloops: it's the experience of a prestigious workshop like Iowa or Clarion, but for everyone, and designed to support you over the long term. Another way to think about it: we're building a game world where writing is the primary game mechanic.
We've gotten started by focusing on solving frequent problems for writers: eliminating distractions, building habits, tracking progress, and getting personalized feedback to advance craft. To do this we're developing a unique platform that combines the best features of a responsive web app and a virtual world.
We're an experienced team funded by Y Combinator and an incredible network of venture funds and angel investors. Our co-founders have deep expertise in creative writing, online training startups, virtual worlds and gaming.
Technologies we use
- Backend: Hasura, Zeet, PostgreSQL, Next.js
- Frontend: Next.js
We're looking for an engineer who loves the art of writing (coding is writing, too)! You should draw energy from solving difficult problems and by building software with a large impact. You're going to be one of the first engineers at an early-stage startup, so you'll have a huge opportunity to apply your analytical mindset towards problems of all shapes and sizes. If you love video games, all the better, because we're building a game world where you don't launch missiles or stomp koopas. You write.
Jobs to be Done
- 🔎 find a team you love working with, that loves working with you
- 🌪️ help us continue our growth to 200 paying users by building out the rest of v1 Wordloops platform
- 🏆 you may implement some badges (think console game achievements) from writing the hasura database schema through creating the api and front end ux/ui in react (typescript, nextjs), all while working alongside a designer in figma
- 📊 you may add some charts to the landing page of the application that helps our users understand and improve their writing habits by collecting and analyzing user word count
- 📢 you are definitely going to work on something we haven't even thought of yet - and we want your input. we set hard to reach sprint goals for our size (e.g. book 50 demos) and the entire team - cofounders, a couple of other engineers, you - plan and prioritize our work together in 1-2 week sprints. and we want you to be a user and empathize with our users. we want you to speak up and fight for what you think is right and for what we should do next to reach our sprint goals
- 📈 then help us grow to 2000 users
- 📦 what new things need to be created?
- 💔 what systems don't scale to supporting 2000 users?
- ⚖️ how do we balance what's going to break with what our users are asking for?
- 🙌 how do we scale our team and engineering practices? our culture?
- 😂 then we're going to grow a lot, and it's going to be a fun ride, and you're going to learn and do an enormous number of exciting and interesting things.
When we succeed, we'll likely have dramatically changed the world. Because the future of writing won't look like it does today — books published on Amazon or Wattpad, writing done in Google Docs, or Scrivener, or Notion, and tracked in spreadsheets.
It may look a lot more like an MMORPG crossed with a martial arts school. All the writers in the world will train there — and you're going to help build it, starting now.
What it's like to work here
- Remote flexibility
- Lots of communication (Discord, voice/video calls)
- We play games together!
- Wordloops experience (try it out!)
- Very laid back and very hard working
If you're interested in building the future for writers, send us a note with an answer to the following question:
“What are you looking for, and what honestly draws you to Wordloops and this role?”
Why you should join Wordloops
Wordloops is a virtual writing community. Our goal is to provide high quality training to writers of all experience levels from beginner to expert. We're doing this by building a fun and motivating social experience that takes place inside a virtual world.