Customer Experience Associate at ZBiotics
About the role
ZBiotics is a consumer health startup pioneering the category of genetically engineered probiotics. Our team of PhD scientists takes traditional probiotics and enhances them, giving them powerful new functionalities that improve human health and enrich daily life. We incorporate these new probiotics into our own branded products and sell them direct-to-consumer (DTC).
Our first product – the world’s first ever genetically engineered probiotic to go to market – helps people feel better the day after drinking alcohol by breaking down acetaldehyde, one of alcohol’s toxic byproducts. We launched this product in August 2019, and since then we’ve closed a Seed Round of funding and successfully developed product #2, which will launch within a year. We’re backed by Y Combinator (W18) and several angel and venture capital investors, including Oyster Ventures and Khosla Ventures.
About the role
ZBiotics is seeking a self-motivated, organized customer experience associate to embody, develop, and execute the team’s customer response strategy. Someone in this role excels by demonstrating an exceptional balance between delivering a world-class, empathetic customer support experience and operating efficiently. As the company is a fast-growing startup, an individual is needed who can change focus with agility, prioritize effectively, and communicate clearly to partner with anyone across the organization.
The position will report directly to the CEO to ensure brand alignment with customer engagement, and partner with the COO and marketing teams to work through operational solutions that improve the customer experience.
Platforms this role will use include G Suite, Notion, Gorgias, Shopify, and Facebook Business Suite.
While there is flexibility to work remotely, this person is expected to spend at least several days a week supporting HQ fulfillment and operations from the San Francisco office. Employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless medically exempted, and expected to follow health and mask mandates issued by the city and county.
What we’re looking for
The ideal candidate lives and breathes customer service. They know how to communicate effectively across a range of audiences and have a deep appreciation for the entirety of the customer’s journey. They can strike a balanced tone, instill confidence, and know when it’s appropriate to call a customer on the phone to make things right.
The right candidate understands the role customer service plays in the overall success of a young startup, and will present thoughtful solutions to elevate the brand as the company grows. They won’t lose sight of a greater vision for where things are going, and will adjust systems and processes as the work scales.
The customer experience associate needs to be inherently curious, and aligned with the science-driven goals of the company. They’ll present creative solutions, and keep up to date on support systems and models that work well for the team’s needs. Above all, this person will be sharp, self-motivated, and willing to roll up their sleeves to learn as they go. They are thrilled by the opportunity to stretch both themselves and the company, bring an informed perspective, and will work closely with the team to achieve company goals.
- Respond to all inbound customer service, achieving ZBiotics response time metrics and processing support tickets at least twice a day
- Track in-progress orders, audit delays, process returns, and manage shipping failures before they impact customer experience
- Support on-site fulfillment at HQ when needed; track HQ product + supply + promotional inventory
- Update, adjust, and refine customer response macros / scripts as needed
- Engage with social media responses through Facebook Business Suite when product- or customer service-related
- Generate weekly reports, delivering insights for the team based on customer service analytics (appeasement costs, customer flow improvements, etc.) that support cost-savings and improvements to customer retention / conversion
- Maintain SOPs for customer support processes, supporting growth and onboarding of additional Support Experience team members or outsourced talent
- Create the foundation for a scalable customer service department that is able to grow as ZBiotics grows
- 2+ years retail / hospitality / food service / customer service experience
- Strong written communication skills, attention to detail, and the ability to comfortability give and receive feedback
- Experience working independently and managing own schedule
- Exposure to CRM / CMS / support ticket platforms, configuring SaaS platforms, and NetPromoter System a plus
- Inventory management or supply chain + logistics knowledge is helpful
- Background in science and/or the ability to understand the basic mechanics of the core products
- Passion for the power of science to improve our lives
- Consistently delivers a positive attitude with customers, demonstrates empathy, and open-minded approach to problem solving
About our team
We’re a team of deep thinkers who care about the future of the world and the role of science in that future. Our mission at ZBiotics is to help people live healthier, richer lives using science, while at the same time pioneering a new vision for genetic engineering as transparent, responsible, and consumer-first.
While this passion drives our work, we never forget that work is just one aspect of our lives. That’s why we prioritize building a healthy and inclusive culture where people thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do their best work every day.
We provide attractive benefits, salary, and equity compensation, along with a flexible schedule and vacation policy.
Why you should join ZBiotics
ZBiotics is a consumer health startup pioneering the category of genetically engineered probiotics. Our team of PhD scientists takes traditional probiotics and enhances them – giving them powerful new functionalities that improve human health and enrich daily life. We incorporate these new probiotics into our own branded products and sell them direct-to-consumer (DTC).
Our first product – the world’s first ever genetically engineered probiotic to go to market – helps people feel better the day after drinking alcohol by breaking down acetaldehyde, one of alcohol’s toxic byproducts. We launched this product in August 2019, and since then we’ve successfully developed product #2, which will launch within the next year.