Swiss Army Knife - Engineer at Zeal (formerly Puzzl)
About the role
WHO WE ARE We are a modern, embedded payroll provider that helps empower companies to build their own unique payroll service. On top of our easy-to-use payroll API, we are pioneering an all-inclusive tax engine to democratize a broken and cumbersome process providing accessibility to small, medium, and large businesses and helping Americans get paid.
Backed by over $14 million in funding by top investors such as Y Combinator, Spark Capital (Marqeta, Coinbase, Affirm), and Robinhood's Founder; Vlad Tenev we are projected to be a forerunner in embedded payroll with an industry amassing billions of dollars in untapped revenue.
Our mission is to empower companies to become their own fin-tech company using our simple, seamless, and forward-thinking payroll technology and we'd love to learn more about you and how you could be a fit for our growing team here in San Francisco!
ABOUT THE ROLE "The term "Swiss Army knife" has acquired usage as a figure of speech indicating extreme utility applicable to more or less any scenario at hand."
At Zeal, we envision someone in this role owning a large scope with the ability to manage engineering tasks, business proposals, project management, some data analysis, as well as having strategic foresight on how Zeal's product can take on a larger product market scope within the embedded fin-tech domain.
Someone who has a strong technical background but wants to work more directly with the user and business side would be a good fit for this role. As the first Swiss Army Knife Engineer, you will have to distill order in chaos by working 1-on-1 with our Founders for strategic input and direction. You will also interact with Staff Engineers, Product Managers, Designers, and Program Managers to help solve key business challenges and drive success for our clients now and in the future!
SOME THINGS YOU MAY BE WORKING ON
- Manage and coordinate highly cross-functional initiatives; lead special projects.
- Work directly with our CTO to leverage the broader projects to help unlock high ROI.
- Set down the operational foundations for how engineering and other non-technical departments interact and perform together as well as technical writing to help translate engineering requirements to the larger Zeal team and partner base.
- Deeply and intimately understand Zeal's open-API payroll product from a technical perspective so that you could help debug a 504 one day and on another day recommend a new customization option.
- Support our launched partners from a technical perspective (demo, post-contract discussion, etc) to ensure their success, acting as an external consultant/growth team for them. We work with some of the most influential figures in tech, you'll be expected to provide excellent service and strategic input to help them succeed on Zeal's product.
- 3+ years in a similar client-facing role (sales engineering, consulting, implementation, customer success, SWE/Product) at a software company
- World-class communication and demonstration skills; experience and confidence providing information and illustrating clear value propositions to highly skilled audiences ranging from on the ground individual contributors up to C-level executives
- Experience and comfort with discussing API frameworks and RESTful integrations
- Strong project/program management skills, you are an expert a juggling multiple streams of work and delegating and prioritizing where needed
- Curiosity and a drive to learn something new each day that you can apply back to your work or your team’s work; you’re constantly looking for opportunities to grow
- Start-up experience
- Interest in solving problems in the growing embedded payroll landscape
ZEAL CULTURE Zeal is located in the SoMa district of San Francisco and we value in-person collaboration and communication as we grow and scale our business. We are a tight-knit, inclusive community that is into music 🎵, cocktails 🍹, pets 🐈🐕, ping-pong 🏓 and above all else ~ high-quality espresso ☕ but more importantly we value championing for our employees to bring their authentic true selves to work and aim to provide a fun and collaborative work environment for everyone!
- 100% coverage health, dental, and vision
- Competitive salary and equity for all employees
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Free snacks and drinks and Friday happy hours
- Awesome Puzzl Swag
OUR INTERVIEW PROCESS This is our process for most of our roles, but sometimes stages are subject to change from time to time, but we will definitely notify you of the change ahead of time.
Step 1: Chat with our recruiter Step 2: Chat with one of our founders or hiring manager Step 3: Take-Home Assignment Step 4: Presentation/Final Interview with the team
After a few days to 1 week, we will get back to you with a decision
Why you should join Zeal (formerly Puzzl)
We are a modern, embedded payroll provider that helps empower companies to build their own unique payroll service. On top of our easy-to-use payroll API we are pioneering an all inclusive tax engine to democratize a broken and cumbersome process providing accessibility to small, medium and large businesses and helping Americans get paid.
Backed by over $14 million in funding by top investors such as Y Combinator, Spark Capital (Marqeta, Coinbase, Affirm) and Robinhood's Founder; Vlad Tenev, we are projected to be a forerunner in embedded payroll with an industry amassing billions of dollars in untapped revenue.
Our mission is to empower companies to become their own fin-tech company using our simple, seamless and forward thinking payroll technology and we'd love to learn more about you and how you could be a fit for our growing team here in San Francisco!