by Michael Seibel8/28/2020
At our 31st Demo Day, 198 companies presented virtually over two days. You can see a list of the companies that presented on-the-record in the YC Directory.
You can also read about the companies in TechCrunch here and here.
Below are some stats about the YC Summer 2020 batch.
As a reminder, the application deadline for YC W21 is coming up on September 23. Apply here.
YC S20 categories:
B2B Software and Services – 48%
Consumer – 13%
Education – 4%
Financial Technology and Services – 11%
Government – 1%
Healthcare – 16%
Industrials – 4%
Real Estate and Construction – 3%
Countries represented: 26 countries (36% of the S20 companies were based outside the U.S.)
Women founders: 16% of the companies have a women founder, 9% of the founders are women
Black founders: 6% of the companies have a Black founder; 4% of the founders are Black
Latinx founders: 10% of the companies have a Latinx founder; 10% of the founders are Latinx
Some of the themes we saw in this batch:
– Startups revamping traditional industries
– Sustainability and housing
– Post-COVID world, including online communities and creators, edtech, remote tools, and delivery solutions for retail and restaurants
– Healthcare and biotech, including responses to COVID-19, mental health resources, treatments, management software, and health coverage and telemedicine options
– The Future of work
– Serving businesses, including fintech, business management software, tech-enabled services, marketing, and marketplaces
– Developer tools, including no-code tools
– Consumer, including fintech
Michael Seibel is a Group Partner and Managing Director, Early Stage at YC. He was the cofounder and CEO Justin.tv and Socialcam. Socialcam sold to Autodesk in 2012 and Justin.tv became Twitch.