You’ll work directly in the code to build out new frontend tools, libraries, and applications that make it even easier for developers to use Daily. You’ll also collaborate with our product teams to guide our frontend architecture work across teams.
Who we are
Daily is WebRTC video and audio for every developer. We're building the APIs and infrastructure to power the future of video, and the Internet.
Developers use Daily to add real-time video and audio experiences to any product. Our features range from prebuilt UIs and lower-level APIs to call quality data and global infrastructure and compliance. We serve developers across use cases — like events, productivity, edtech, and healthcare — and serve teams of all sizes. We're a remote team led by seasoned executives who value inclusivity and work-life balance, focus on growth (last year we saw 10x growth), and have raised over $60 million in funding to date.
This role is unusual in that the primary focus is day-to-day engineering on customer-facing features, but it also involves leading our frontend architecture work. It’s a great position for somebody who has been working at the architecture level and misses hands-on development.
Because the architecture work spans our products, this is a highly collaborative role, requiring partnership with nearly all of our engineering teams. In addition, it involves guiding other engineers to improve their effectiveness, approaching them in partnership. We value people who understand the difference between process and bureaucracy—and who can figure out what we need to build up our knowledge across engineering.
You’ll help shape a growing organization, and your participation will help us level up.
What you'll do
- Contribute as an engineer to new product features, for example, productizing our internal developer tools and dashboards so that customers can benefit from them
- Partner with existing teams to guide frontend architecture planning across the company
- Serve as a go-to source when people need help leveling up their frontend skills or problem solving related issues
- Improve our test tooling to ensure our frontend products scale through more sustainable rapid development cycles
What you’ll need
- 10+ years of industry frontend engineering experience, including frontend architect development
- In-depth knowledge of React and TypeScript and flexibility with other frontend frameworks
- Familiarity with cross-browser compatibility, accessibility, and browser networking, and browser APIs
- Experience with unit and integration testing. (We currently use Cypress, Jest and Puppeteer, but you don’t have to know them specifically to apply)
- Enthusiasm for collaboration (a lot of our work is asynchronous, and written communication is important at Daily, so if you apply, your cover letter is actually important)
- Bonus if you have experience with or are excited about learning:
- Real-time media
- Building developer tools
- Data visualization
- Research shows that applicants who are female or non-binary, as well as applicants who are people of color, are less likely to apply for roles they don't feel 100% qualified for. If you think you meet more than 60% of our requirements but fewer than 100%, please apply. Our job posting is the starting point for discussion rather than a perfect description of what we need.
Compensation and benefits
- We level based on years of relevant experience. Each level has one salary and equity; they're the same across roles. Compensation also is the same rate regardless of location. (We updated our compensation in January 2022 after an extensive internal process. The linked post talks about how we level candidates, in part because we believe clarity in levels benefits all of us. It’s also the case we strive to be consistent among staff on each team, and we haven’t included all of the details about how we level every role. If you apply and we get to the offer stage, we’ll be actively interested in learning about your experiences—but we may count certain work as indirect to maintain fairness within our team. If we’re in that discussion with you, we’ll do our best to share all the information that informs our decision.)
- Level 3: 5-6 yrs relevant experience, $155,000
- Level 4: 7-8 yrs, $180,000
- Level 5: 9-10 yrs, $210,000
- Level 6: 11-14 yrs, $240,000
- Level 7: 15+ yrs, $270,000
- Medical, dental, and vision group coverage for US teammates
- Matching 401k for US teammates
- Local country payroll/coverage for teammates outside the US
- PTO: We ask that you take at least four weeks paid vacation
- Parental leave: paid 4 months leave
- IT budget: please get what you need to be effective
- Professional learning & development budget
- Remote team: work from anywhere — this team mostly resides in the US East and Central Europe timezones, and you’d need to have some synchronous time each week
More about us
- Applying and interviewing is tough — thanks for considering us. We try to make it as humane as possible by sharing information with you as we go and keeping things moving to the best of our ability. Below is an overview of our full process.
- We’re fully remote and always have been, with engineers around the world. Our leadership team includes people who have run remote teams for years.
- Excellence requires diversity: we strongly encourage candidates from underrepresented groups in technology to apply.
- Please learn about us, https://daily.co/jobs. As it says, we care deeply about what we build and seek kindness and diversity. Take care of yourself and your family's time.
- We believe in a healthy work-life balance. We’re a startup, but we work reasonable hours and want you to use your vacation time (seriously).
- Daily has raised over $60 million from investors including Renegade Partners, Lachy Groom, Tiger Global, Slack Fund, Y Combinator, and leading angels like April Underwood, Aston Motes, Rahul Vohra, and Scott Belsky.
More on our hiring process
If we’d like to move ahead, we’ll ask you for a call. Here’s what our whole interview process looks like:
- Hello call. Our VP of Engineering has a video call with you. This is to learn about each other, and see if we can have a good conversation about where we're a mutual fit. We'll tell you about what we're building, how we think about the market opportunity, and how our team works. We're eager to learn about you.
- Take-home exercise — compensated. We don’t do live exercises or tests. Instead, we give you a sample project to work on on your own schedule. It’s a few hours of thinking and writing. We will pay you for your time.
- Teammate video calls — two of these, and each may include a couple of Daily staff. We’ll use the first to talk about your take-home and other automation and devtool focused topics. The second will likely focus on bigger-picture topics. We’ll let you know ahead of time who you’ll be meeting with.
- Cofounder call. You’ll have a video call with one of our two co-founders. We’re still small enough that it’s important to meet them as part of the process.
- References. We talk to at least two people. We typically ask to talk to a peer and a manager.
- Wrap-up call. You’ll talk again with our VP of Engineering about specific projects and teams you might join.
How to apply
Please provide a resume and/or LinkedIn profile and a cover letter with a little info on why you’re interested in Daily and why you think you’re a fit for the role. As we note above, because written communication is a big part of our culture, the cover letter actually matters!
Equal Opportunity Employer
Daily is an equal opportunity employer. We don't discriminate against people because of their race, ethnicity, sex, age, religion, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, personal appearance, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, or political affiliation.