Senior Software Engineer, Customers, Front End
About the role
About Front End at Instacart
Our web products are used by millions of people every year and the largest retailers in the US now trust us to run their grocery delivery websites. In order to meet and exceed these expectations, we're rapidly improving and modernizing our front end code base, raising our expectations for product quality on web, and opening up our internal libraries to the open source community for feedback. We hope to accelerate these efforts by growing the number of strong front end engineers on our teams.
- You will be part of a small team, with a large amount of ownership and responsibility for setting best practices and raising the front end bar for your team.
- You will work with other Front End engineers in the organization to raise the bar for product and code quality within the web product.
- You will work closely with product managers, designers, other teams, and both internal and external stakeholders, owning a large part of the process from problem understanding to shipping the solution.
- You will maintain our high engineering standards and bring consistency to our codebase.
- You will ship high quality, scalable and robust solutions with a sense of urgency.
- You will have the freedom to suggest and drive organization-wide initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, computer engineering, electrical engineering OR equivalent work experience
- Self-motivation and an enjoyment for a startup environment
- A strong sense of ownership
- Strong knowledge of modern front-end build systems and languages (Webpack, ES6, Babel, etc)
- Strong knowledge of and experience with front-end testing frameworks (Jest, Mocha, Enzyme, etc)
- A willingness to learn back-end frameworks and technologies, primarily Ruby on Rails and SQL/ActiveRecord
- An ability to balance a sense of urgency with shipping high quality and pragmatic solutions
- Experience working with a large codebase on a cross-functional team
- Interest or experience in building large scalable front-end systems
- Experience building or maintaining a production node.js application
- Strong analytical and debugging skills
Why you should join Instacart
Instacart is the North American leader in online grocery and one of the fastest-growing companies in e-commerce. Instacart’s same-day delivery and pickup services bring fresh groceries and everyday essentials to busy people and families across the U.S. and Canada in as fast as an hour. Since its founding in 2012, Instacart has become an essential service for millions of families, while also serving as an immediate, flexible earnings opportunity for hundreds of thousands of shoppers across North America. The company partners with more than 350 retailers and delivers from more than 25,000 stores across more than 5,500 cities in North America. Today, Instacart is accessible to more than 85% of households in the U.S. and more than 70% of households in Canada.