Senior Backend Engineer at Kudi
About the role
Kudi software engineers build solutions that will forever change the face of finance and banking in Africa by bringing affordable banking services to the doorstep of people across the continent. We’re looking for engineers that can bring fresh ideas and experience to the table from all areas of expertise including distributed system design, mobile development, systems architecture, networking, security and more.
As a backend engineer, you will be responsible for all levels of our vast technology stack from design to deployment; developing intelligent and resilient mission-critical systems which handle hundreds of millions of dollars in transactions monthly. You will also be responsible for significant architectural decisions, guiding the rest of the team technically and using all of the tools at your disposal along with your initiative to get stuff done.
Kudi’s mission is to make financial services accessible and affordable to all Africans worldwide. We do this by building a platform that allows millions of Africans access financial services across mobile and our agent network Infrastructure.
Today, Kudi enables 25million+ Nigerians access over $3B across different financial service products annually. This is done through our 100,000 retail agent network and digital channels. We’re committed to building out products that will take quality financial services to millions of Africans who do not have access to these products.
We’re backed by the best financial services Investors (which includes Y-Combinator, Khosla Ventures and more recently the Partech Africa fund) that have backed global companies like Stripe, Nubank, Brex and Square. Kudi operates in a very competitive market,we believe that building for the customers is the best way to grow and we can only achieve this by hiring the most talented people that are motivated to solve the problem of access to financial services.
- Excellent programming skills
- At least 5 years experience developing in Java (Springboot or Dropwizard frameworks) & NodeJS in the industry
- At least 5 years experience developing with MongoDB or MySQL
- Strong affinity for technical design, testing and system architecture
- Experience working with containers
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Strong System Architecture Design skills
- Knowledge of fundamental computing topics, e.g. networking, databases, concurrency, parallelism, locking, algorithms, data structures, performance monitoring, optimisation, etc
- Knowledge of modern software engineering practises, e.g DDD, TDD
- Ability to work autonomously and lead technically
- Ability to take initiative and get stuff done
- Great communication skills
About the Position:
- Architect, design and develop mobile products.
- Provide ongoing maintenance, support and enhancements to existing mobile services.
- Manage Junior Engineers, providing mentoring, code reviews, architectural design etc..
- Perform performance review on direct reports and report details to line manager.
- Take full responsibility for products while they are in development and issues that arise when they are in use.
- You will work across different technology stacks and languages (mainly with a focus on Java and NodeJS);
- You will have an end to end responsibility of many services from design to deployment;
- You will join fast-paced team of engineers
- You will be a point of call for technical matters
Nice to have:
- Knowledge of Rust or Python
- Experience working in financial services
- Excellent communication skills - verbal & oral
- Approachable - easily approachable for others to discuss challenges with you
Why you should join Kudi
Kudi is a super app for Financial Services for Africans. We do this by building a platform that allows millions of Africans access financial services across mobile and our agent network Infrastructure.
Backed by YC, Partech Africa & Khosla Ventures