Software Engineer, Backend at Matter
About the role
You might be a fit if you:
- Are an experienced generalist who writes high-quality code.
- Can own large pieces of work and solve whatever problems come your way.
- Have designed APIs and built backend services for complex, consumer-grade products.
- Are comfortable with Python/Django/SQL/AWS. Languages can be learned, but because we're small and will be counting on you to make big contributions quickly, familiarity with our stack is helpful. ML experience a plus.
- Operate well in an early-stage environment where there's more change and less structure compared to a more mature company.
- Are highly collaborative and an excellent communicator.
Some tech you'll help build:
- Article and PDF parsers that use a combination of techniques from heuristic frameworks to NLP to computer vision
- Data ingestion pipelines that consolidate content from disparate sources, including RSS, save-extensions, newsletters, and Twitter
- Scrapers that ingest content produced by specific individuals wherever it occurs on the internet
- Data synchronization engine that powers offline interactivity across multiple clients
- Django, Postgres, Redis, Celery in the backend
- Swift iOS app with Realm for local datastore
- React for internal tooling
- Runs entirely on AWS
- Comfortable dev environment using Git, Docker, automated tests, and continuous deployment
- GitHub, Slack, Notion, Figma, Linear
Why you should join Matter
Matter is building the future of reading.
We're a small, productive team that obsesses about craft, speed, and pushing technical boundaries in service of building the best reading experience imaginable.
We've raised $9M while in private beta from GV, Y Combinator, and many stellar angels, and we just launched to public beta.