Sr. Operations Research Engineer at Rappi
About the role
We are the Fulfillment department, responsible for developing cutting-edge technology applied to the operation. We manage the logistics of the company, using technical and business knowledge. Some of our ongoing projects are:
- Courier (offer) spatial and temporal distribution.
- Demand in-app guidance.
- Order matching (assignment) and bundling.
- Vehicle routing.
- Operation simulation.
- Service time estimations (Estimations on our partner's operations)
- Time and routing estimations (ETA's, transportation directions).
- Geographical clustering.
You will be working alongside back and front-end developers (full-stack as well), operations researchers, data scientists, data analysts, machine learning engineers, and product owners. We strive for operational excellence and work with elevated volumes of data, using descriptive, predictive and prescriptive analytics. Our problems are highly challenging, as we are constantly making decisions over hundreds of thousands of real-time variables. We are a core department, enabling Rappi as a SuperApp in LatAm.
We are looking for a Sr. Operations Researcher to help us develop new algorithms and technologies to improve the operation as mentioned above. You should be highly comfortable working with technology, leading projects and communicating with business stakeholders. You will be guiding the decisions that we make around product, operations and tech. Information is only valuable when transformed into actionable insights, and it is through experimentation, high-tempo testing, rigorous measurement, and proper communication, our teams achieve our audacious goal. As part of your impact, you will:
- Build, implement, and maintain OR systems in technology products, using engineering best practices for delivering reliable, scalable, and secure software.
- Be responsible for implementing, testing, and releasing various mathematical and statistical models for existing and upcoming use cases.
- Leverages understanding of the business process to identify and implement solutions that will result in significant bottom-line contributions
- Work closely with other data and software professional professionals to design, code, train, test, deploy, iterate and own state-of-the-art systems for executing OR models.
- Build end-to-end data pipelines to experiment, maintain, and track the performance of our Operations Research products.
Please make sure you fulfil the following requirements to apply for this position. We are excited to work with you!
Requirements (must have's):
- Degree (s) (MS, or PhD or ABD) in any of the following fields (or similar): Computer Science, Mathematical Engineering or Industrial Engineering with focus on operations research, statistics, mathematics.
- Extensive knowledge in Operations Research, such as large-scale, graph (network), stochastic and MIP optimization; discrete events and continuous simulation; probability, statistics, and statistical modelling techniques (especially regression analysis and modelling).
- Knowledge of data structures and algorithms for a highly concurrent environment in which low latency of the solutions is a must.
- 5+ years of experience in an industry with similar issues.
- Advanced experience writing and shipping code into production environments using languages such as Python and Go.
- Accustomed to analyzing and working with large quantities of data, using analytical libraries such as tydiverse in R or pandas, numpy, scipy and scikit-learn in Python.
- Knowledge of SQL databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL).
- Knowledge in Data Warehousing like Redshift, BigQuery, Snowflake.
- Familiar with micro service-oriented software architectures with high concurrency (~1000 request/s)
- Knows how to work with versioning systems (Git) and forms of agile software development methods.
- Ability to communicate complicated technical problems and solutions to both technical and business audiences.
- Knowledge in testing and experimenting strategies, both in development and production.
Desired (nice to have's):
- Use of NoSQL and caches (MongoDB, DynamoDB, Redis, MemCached, etc...).
- Can work with containers (Docker, Compose, Kubernetes).
- Knowledge with Domain Driven Design.
- Experience in CI/CD pipelines (Jenkins, GoCD, Concourse, etc...).
- Familiarity in building and testing data pipelines on orchestration tools like Airflow or Luigi.
- Fluent in Portugese or Spanish, both verbal and written.
Why you should join Rappi
Rappi is the fastest growing Latin American startup ever! Backed by the world’s best investors, including Sequoia, Andreesen Horowitz, Y Combinator, DST Capital, and Softbank we reached unicorn status last year and haven’t slowed down. We deliver whatever our customers want on-demand to their doorstep in minutes, from restaurants to groceries to hard cash. We have also recently launch wallet and eCommerce products which are taking off quickly to become the “SuperApp” of LatAm. We operate in 40 cities across 7 countries in Latin America, with large hubs in Mexico City, Bogotá, Sao Paulo, and Buenos Aires.
This are our Core Values. Things that are truly in our DNA. The behaviors and mental habits that have made us what we are. They are what make us special as a team and what all of you guys share. Please tell me if you feel at home when you read them.
- Highly ambitious for the greater good, not for ourselves.
- Beauty makes people smile, so it’s not optional.
- Talk fast, walk fast, think fast. And execute things in parallel.
- Move the needle. (Prioritize) Every challenge is a gift and an opportunity .
- We never complain, we act. We use our curiosity to fix things.
- We deliver magic, and magic only happens when you jump off a cliff.