The Juggernaut is a new type of media company that uses ambitious journalism to tell diverse stories about South Asia and the diaspora. We're headquartered in New York and backed by great investors including Y Combinator, Precursor Ventures, Twitch co-founder Kevin Lin, The Athletic co-founder Adam Hansmann, and ex-Coinbase CTO Balaji Srinivasan.
Business Insider just named us one of the top media companies to watch in 2020. More about us in Axios, NiemanLab, TechCrunch, HBS MBA blog, Poynter, Cheddar, CNBC, and Forbes.
We’re looking for a growth engineer to help build, deliver, and iterate on a beautiful, high quality experience for our customers and potential customers. Since we are a subscription-driven business, your goal will be to help optimize the customer acquisition funnel at every step to drive awareness, conversion, engagement, retention, and virality — accounting for scale, performance, and getting things done. You are exceptional at translating business and product goals into software that just works.
Our tech stack
We use Contentful as our CMS, Stripe as our payments processor, Postgres for our database, and Next.js for our frontend (React). There are many more components but you will also have a role in modifying our tech stack as we grow.
Some of the problems you'll be solving:
- Implement best-in-class analytics to measure product performance and user engagement
- Pay back some of our tech debt, but figure out what tech debt we can get away with, to be tackled later, vs. what is mission critical
- Finalize our app and app launch strategy
- Improve subscriber conversion, engagement, retention, and virality; create a process for continuously improving each element
- Work with SEO partners and architect our CMS to improve content discovery
- Build out community features
- Document product decisions to ensure we have a record of our technical / product playbook and learnings
- Participate in interviewing and hiring, influencing team culture
- Help define the product roadmap and build out additional products beyond our core web site and app
Who we’re looking for:
- You are an experienced software engineer with proficiency in modern web development frameworks
- You have strong product instincts — you may already have strong business instincts but also want to hone the business side (as it relates to customer engagement and growth)
- You are comfortable measuring the "ROI" of product decisions and prioritizing tasks based on impact
- You have an eye for user-centric design, and can improve UI/UX — you are comfortable helping shape design decisions
- You collaborate well with non-technical teams and communicate clearly
- You write clean, maintainable, scalable code and develop, test, and iterate quickly
- You are eager to grow and help others grow, and know when to bring in help
- You can balance perfection with getting things done
- You are comfortable with dissent and disagreement and bring informed opinions to the table
What it’s like to work at The Juggernaut:
- You are ambitious — A famous story goes: two different groups were told to build a bridge out of index cards and paper clips. One group was told to build a bridge 15 inches high, another 21 inches high. The 15-inch group ultimately built a bridge 17 inches high, but the 21-inch group built a bridge that was 20 inches high — three inches taller with the same materials. Even if you’re a bit shy of your ultimate, ambitious target, you can often push yourself further than you think.
- You have taste — You are an expert in your domain and read and practice a lot so you know what great looks like. For example, our editors constantly read great writers and books. Even if they can’t articulate exactly why something isn’t working, they can smell it and can work towards getting there. Equally, they know when something is exceptional.
- You are context- and data-driven — Even if certain solutions worked before, you think about the context and the data you have and how that might prove/disprove your hypothesis. Many times at The Juggernaut, we’ve found that pre-existing assumptions about how to run ads or what articles will do well don’t always hold out. Our customers are always surprising us — so unearth the context (and the data) first.
- You are reliable and nail the details when they matter — You get things done when you say you will. And if you can’t, you communicate what’s going on. Don’t be a bottleneck for team members. You also nail the details when they matter — ensuring that our site doesn’t go down, for example — but also are open to experimentation when stakes are lower.
- You don't miss the forest for the trees. That is, you keep the big picture in mind as you make decisions. You know that it's not about saying yes to everything, but about knowing whether you're solving the right problem at the right time.
We started The Juggernaut because we were tired of reductive South Asian storylines. If you're someone who wants to redefine what a 21st century media company and community looks like, do reach out.