Full Stack Engineer (Founding Team) at Synth
About the role
What we're looking for:
- You will be the first full-stack engineer on the team—you'll work directly with the co-founders and significantly influence and drive the direction and culture of the company
- You think backwards from user experience and have a sense of building delightful products
- You know when to move fast with a bias for action, and when to slow things down with a more considered process
- Have a passion for the interdisciplinary problem that we are solving and are product-driven. Our product roadmap has features that are large with open-ended scope
- Can deconstruct tricky problems and work towards a simple solution, by yourself or collaboratively with teammates and are comfortable asking for help when you get stuck
- Are left to autonomously figure out the solutions to their challenges
- Put yourself in the shoes of our users to craft a great experience
- Enjoy being a generalist and is naturally curious and willing to take a step to learn something you don’t have experience in while building the product
- Feel a great sense of accountability to each other and are open to ambiguity
- Uphold best practices in engineering, security, and design
What you'll do:
- Given an initial design, consistently deliver a new product feature and think like a product manager while being responsible for delivering jaw-dropping experiences to the end-user
- Rapidly shift our codebase from Chrome Application(in VueJS) to design ElectronJS app to run natively on Mac and Windows. Also, work on our web application.
- Design and engineer human-in-the-loop UI interfaces in collaboration with co-founders and designer
- Improve performance and reliability of existing features
- Care about the growth of others and will be expected and empowered to raise the levels of engineers on the team.
- Ship large features regularly at a rapid pace. We move quickly and will need you to accelerate what we're doing to deliver the product to market.
- Hack around web technologies creatively by digging deeper (We do this often to run certain things)
- You’ll be a key player in the culture that we cultivate.
Skills & Experience (You would get straight up to speed on day one if you)
- 2+ years of working full-time as a software engineer (we are happy to waive the experience criteria if you feel you are exceptional, educational qualification is no bar)
- You've owned & built features from start to finish before
- Proficient with modern web development tools (git, GitHub, VSCode) & web technologies (VueJS, ElectronJS and GraphQL) with knowledge of algorithms and data structures
- Use NoSQL Databases to build flexible web apps
- Use GraphQL to build efficient resolvers for frontend
- Use serverless architectures using Lambda functions in AWS
- Use WebRTC to build streaming apps
- You have an interest in Human-Computer Interaction and understand how computing has evolved over the years. We adore works of Vannevar Bush, Doug Engelbart and Mark Weiser and it reflects in our product
- You enjoy going through the research papers to get inspired from academia about user interfaces to put us ahead of the game
- If you mention some of your biggest failures in your CV/Resume
Why you should join Synth
Synth is building a second brain for knowledge workers.
Your colleague told you about this awesome idea, you came across an amazing article but were too meh to read it, there was an important whatsapp conversation that you felt you could just always remember it. Well your personal information is scattered all around on the internet and on different apps. Where is that relevant piece of information when you need it the most, you check your various apps, search your browsing history, your downloads folder, sighs, you can't find it.
Well our brain was never meant for storing so much information and more so remembering it.
Hence, we are building an app that captures and summarizes all the relevant information you consume - text, audio, video in 1-click. The app makes it easy to search and retrieve the information you want, wherever you like. Our vision is to augment human intelligence for seamless understanding and recall of any information, to make fast decisions and is driven by the ideas of pioneers in computing. We call it the mind for the mind.
Our product is in private beta right now and was among Top5 Products of the Day on Product Hunt
and we are backed by Y Combinator.
Our spirit of doing things is the hacker way - http://www.startuplessonslearned.com/2012/02/hacker-way.html